Veterinarians see spike in pets with marijuana poisoning

When Carol came home from work on a rainy night last year, she found her beloved dog lying on the kitchen floor, unconscious and barely breathing. She rushed him to an emergency vet hospital, trying not to think the worst.

Emergency workers quickly assessed the dog and began asking questions. Had he ever suffered seizures? Had he been ill? Could he have gotten into any poisons or anything else he shouldn’t have? With that question, her heart sank.

Carol, who asked that her last name be withheld because she doesn’t want her employer to know, had recently purchased some recreational marijuana. She suddenly recalled seeing the empty Altoids tin that she kept the pot in lying near her dog.

Carol told the emergency workers and they sprung into action, trying to counter the effects of the cannabis. It was a long night, but eventually the dog came out of his coma, and after a couple of days in the hospital, he was back on his feet.

Carol’s frightening story reflects an unforeseen…

Continue reading at

About The Cannabist

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *